Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
- 1 and ½ pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped scallion, green and white parts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the potatoes, garlic, and salt into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Place over high heat and boil the potatoes until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and garlic from the heat, drain them and return them to the pan. Mash the potatoes and garlic with the tines of a fork, making sure to mash each piece of potato and garlic.
- Add the pepper, scallions, and olive oil and mix well.
- The potatoes can be made ahead of time and reheated in the microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes.
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 22 mg
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Face The Fats program. Recipe copyright © 2007 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere.