Junior Patch Book
- Learn to make healthier choices
- Empower women you love to do the same
Use our online tools to earn your Go Red patch. Don't forget to go to the Go Red Resource Page for Girls and print your own Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon). It's a great guide to help you earn your patch.
Complete 4 activities, each from a different section.
Heart Education Activities
- Learn How Your Heart Works: Check out a Go Red heart trunk for Juniors to learn about how your heart works. Trunks are available through the Girls Scouts of Black Hawk Council.
- Self-Explore: Visit the Go Red Resource Page for Girls and print your own Love Your Heart Journal to explore your heart health (coming soon). Decorate it, update it and have fun with it!
- Activity Pyramid: Print a Kids Activity Pyramid (PDF). Talk about it with your troop or family. Then act out the different activities. Put the pyramid up on your refrigerator at home to remind yourself and your family of activity guidelines that help keep your heart healthy.
- Know Your Fats: One important part of having a healthy heart is to understand the difference between bad fats and good fats. Teach yourself important fat facts using resources listed on the Go Red Resource Page for Girls. Use your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon) to guide you. Then, as a troop or with your family, create a game show quiz to test your knowledge on these fats.
- Heart Works: Use the Go Red Resource Page for Girls to learn about how the heart works, what causes heart disease and how to keep your heart strong. Then quiz your family or troop.
- Invent Your Own: Come up with your own Go Red heart education activity.
- Eat and Track: Use your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon) to track the foods you eat for one day. Then, use your journal to set goals for improvement. Work toward these goals for 2 weeks.
- Go Red Recipe Contest: Invent your own heart-healthy recipe using the tips listed in the links section of the Go Red Resource Page for Girls.
Go Red Recipe Contest - Suggested Guidelines (PDF)
Just For Fun - As a troop, compete for the best-tasting recipes. Make it fun and be creative!
- Heart-Healthy Picnic Adventure: Plan a heart-healthy picnic adventure as a troop or with your family. Walk or bike to a local park and explore the surroundings. Make a heart-healthy picnic meal or snack. If it is too cold outside, put blankets down and have your own indoor picnic. Use your imagination!
- Nutrition Exploration: Have a fruit and vegetable taste-test as a troop. Try at least 5 fruits and vegetables that you have never tried before (like pomegranates or eggplant). When you are done, create a "grocery list" of your favorite foods and bring it home to share with your family.
Just For Fun - Put on a blindfold while you taste the foods.
- Invent Your Own: Come up with your own Go Red nutrition activity.
- Troop Fitness: For 2 months, start or end each troop meeting with 20 minutes of exercise. For example, check out an exercise video from the library or have a dance party with your favorite music and healthy snacks.
- Exercise Exploration: Girls who do exercise activities they enjoy are more likely to stick with them as they grow up. Make a list of your favorite activities, using your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon). Then try one new physical activity, like hip-hop or yoga, with your troop or family. What did you like or not like about it? Talk about it!
- Heart Day - Every Day: Activities that we do every day can be changed to make our hearts work harder. For 2 weeks, make every day "heart day" by making your routine more physically active. For helpful hints, visit the Go Red Resource Page for Girls. Set a goal for yourself using your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon). Stick to it and write about how the experience made you feel.
Just For Fun - Challenge a woman you love to join you in this activity.
- Jump Rope: Participate in your school's local Jump Rope for Heart event. Design your own Go Red Girl Scouts t-shirt to show your Girl Scout pride.
- Invent Your Own: Come up with your own Go Red fitness activity.
- Help Her Heart: Visit the Go Red Resource Page for Girls and print the Go Red Greeting Card Template (PDF). Print and decorate them for 3 women you love. In the cards, tell them what you love about their hearts. Then tell them that their heart health is important to you. Encourage them to join the Go Red movement by taking the Go Red Heart CheckUp online.
- Make a Pledge: Pledge with a woman you love to improve your exercise habits. Set goals and rewards. Then stick to your program for one month. Use your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon) to help you.
- Learn Your Family's Heart Health History: Use your Love Your Heart Journal (coming soon) to help you record your family history of heart conditions or diabetes. Share this information with women in your family and teach them about the steps they can take to keep their hearts strong.
- Cook a Heart-Healthy Meal For Your Family: For heart-healthy recipe ideas, visit the Go Red Resource Page for Girls.
- Heart Walk: Sign up for a heart walk in your area and invite a woman that you love to join you. For a list of heart walks in your area, visit the American Heart Association Web site.
- Invent Your Own: Come up with your own Go Red family activity.
- Go Red Girl Scouts Online Art Gallery: Draw a picture to teach others about heart health and submit it to the Go Red Girl Scouts online art gallery. Your artwork will appear in the online art gallery. Be creative! Art work will be updated once a month. Learn more about the Go Red Girl Scouts Online Art Gallery.
Invent Your Own: Come up with your own Go Red service activity.