Heart-Healthy Activity Ideas
- Plan and cook a healthy meal together, use UW Health's "Healthy Plate" as a model.
- Host a heart-healthy book group. Check your local library or purchase the American Heart Association's Complete Guide to Women's Heart Health: The Go Red for Women Way to Well-Being & Vitality.
- Take a trip to the grocery store to set up your own healthy pantry.
- Try a new exercise class together. Go to the health club.
- Play Wii or another physically active video game.
- Identify an activity you've wanted to try but have hadn't had the courage or time to plan and do it with your girlfriends, such as ice skating, snow shoeing, indoor rock climbing, a Zumba class or boot camp, just to name a few examples.
- Coordinate a Go Red For Women Brown Bag Presentation at your book group, office, church or neighborhood. Serve heart-healthy appetizers and utilize the tools available from the American Heart Association. Show one of the presentations featuring local UW Health experts.
- Find out what your last blood pressure, BMI and cholesterol readings were (UW Health patients can check their UW Health MyChart accounts). Or if it's been a while, make an appointment to get those tests done. Write down your numbers and your family history in a journal. Talk with your health care provider about your risk factors and create a plan for improving your heart health.
- Be a part of the local American Heart Association's online community to learn about other health healthy events and activities by visiting their Facebook page.