Greek-style Chicken with Lemon Pistachio Rice
When you remove this meal from the oven, you'll think you’re in a kitchen in Greece.
The aroma is a delightful portent of good things to come.
1½ cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp lemon zest
4 tbs fresh lemon juice
4 tbs chopped pistachio nuts
2 tbs finely chopped fresh oregano or dried, crumbled
2 tbs snipped fresh dillweed or dried, crumbled
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
8 oz. fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In an 8-inch glass or metal baking dish, stir together the broth, rice, spinach, tomatoes, lemon zest, 2 tbs lemon juice, 2 tbs pistachios, 1 tbs oregano, 1 tbs dillweed, cinnamon and pepper. Push the mixture to the side.
- Add the chicken breasts. Spoon a small amount of the rice mixture over them. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt and 2 tbs lemon juice.
- To serve, spoon the yogurt mixture over the chicken, rice and vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining pistachios. Garnish with the remaining oregano, dillweed and lemon zest (optional).
- Tip: If you’re freezing this dish, delay making the yogurt sauce. Prepare it shortly before serving the reheated dish.
Total Fat 6.5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g
Dietary Exchanges 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 4 lean meat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association One-Dish Meals, Copyright ©2005 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.