Citrus Freeze Bars
A nice balance of sweet and tart makes this a dessert you’ll want to keep on hand in your freezer. Best of all, it takes only minutes to prepare.
Vegetable oil spray
30 reduced-fat vanilla wafers
14-ounce can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg (do not use unpasteurized egg)
1 to 2 tsp grated lime or lemon zest
2/3 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
8 ounces frozen fat-free or light whipped topping, thawed
Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
Arrange 25 of the vanilla wafers in a single layer in the pan. (There will be spaces between the cookies.)
- Pour the milk and egg substitute into a medium bowl. Add the lime zest and lime juice.
- Stir for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Pour over the cookies in the baking pan.
- Crumble the remaining five vanilla wafers over the filling.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for four hours or until frozen.
- To serve, let thaw for four to five minutes, or just until the bars are cuttable. Cut into 15 bars.
Total Fat 0.5g
Saturated Fat 0
Trans Fat 0
Polyunsaturated Fat 0
Monounsaturated Fat 0
Dietary Exchanges 2 other carbohydrate
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association No-Fad Diet: A Personal Plan for Healthy Weight Loss, Copyright © 2005 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.