Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
Cheesecake is a very popular dessert, but it doesn't have to be loaded with calories and fat to taste good.
Vegetable oil spray
1/3 cup crushed chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 9 small rectangles)
12 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
Egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs
8 ounces fat-free or light sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup fat-free caramel apple dip
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Lightly spray a 9-inch springform or 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable oil spray. If using the cake pan, line the bottom with cooking parchment or wax paper and lightly spray again.
- Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheeses and sugar on medium-high for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg substitute and beat on medium until mixed in.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla. Beat on medium for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Remove 1 cup batter and set aside.
- Stir the cocoa powder into the remaining batter. Beat on medium for 30 seconds, or until mixed in.
- Pour half the chocolate batter into the pan (no need to spread over the bottom). Pour half of the reserved white batter on the chocolate batter. Spoon half of the caramel apple dip onto the white batter. Pour the remaining chocolate batter into the pan. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining white batter onto the chocolate batter in a circular pattern. Spoon the remaining caramel apple dip on top. Gently shake the pan back and forth to distribute the batter evenly. With a sharp knife, lightly swirl the batter to create a marbled effect. (Don’t overswirl or you'll have no pattern)
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the center is just set (doesn't jiggle when the pan is gently shaken). Put the pan on a cooling rack and let cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. To serve, run a knife along the inside of the pan. Release the side of the springform pan or invert the cake pan onto a plate.
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1.0 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 258 mg
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 20 g
Protein: 8 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 lean meat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, Seventh Edition, Copyright ©2004 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.