Boston Citrus Salad
Oranges and grapefruit combined with a slightly sweet and tangy dressing make for a delicious salad that mixes well with fish or chicken, or even as a light and healthy snack.
- 1 large head Boston, butter, or Bibb lettuce
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 medium grapefruit
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon orange-flower water
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, dry-roasted
Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Remove the peel and pith from the oranges. Cut the oranges into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the slices into quarters and put in a medium bowl.
- Peel and section the grapefruit. Cut the grapefruit into bite-size pieces and add to the oranges. Drain the fruit, reserving the juice in a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, honey, and orange-flower water to the reserved fruit juice. Pour the juice mixture over the lettuce. Toss to coat evenly.
- Arrange the lettuce on salad plates. Top each serving with grapefruit and orange pieces and a sprinkling of almonds.
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 0
This recipe is reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook, Third Edition, Copyright © 2005 by American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.