Cereal Snack Mix
Whether your schedule is go-go-go or hurry-up-and-wait, you’ll be glad you packed these tasty tidbits for healthy snacking.
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole-grain oat cereal with yogurt-flavored coating
- 2 cups whole-grain wheat and bran flakes with raisins
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened blueberries
- Put a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square on a platter or baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the almonds are coated with the mixture, stirring constantly. Transfer to the foil. Let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients.
- Add the cooled almonds to the cereal mixture, stirring to combine. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Cook's Tip: For variety, substitute different nutrient-dense dried fruits, such as cherries, apricots, and plums, for the cranberries and blueberries. Cut them into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces before adding them to the cereal mixture.
Total Fat: 2.8g
Saturated Fat: 0.4g