Multidisciplinary Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic
The UW Health Multidisciplinary Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Clinic is a state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment facility clinic specializing in care for patients with complex disease issues and/or complicated disease management. Our multispecialty approach to care includes expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of all forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, pouchitis and microscopic colitis.
Patient care is managed by the referring physician or the clinic team, based on each patient's needs and preference. Patient appointments last about 60 minutes, but may be longer if the patient will benefit from seeing other members of our team. All team members are located at the Digestive Health Center (DHC), allowing patients to meet with each specialist during one visit to ensure they receive the time and expertise required to establish their diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Evaluation of complex patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, pouchitis and microscopic colitis
- Review of patient's history, completed by IBD team prior to appointment: test results, summaries and reports, current condition, medication use and management. A summary letter, prepared by the referring physician, is strongly encouraged and extremely helpful to our team as they prepare for the appointment
- Scheduling of a one-day patient appointment with various members of our IBD team, including review of patient's history and current condition, medication use and management; consultation visit with patient and care team; and scheduling of additional testing such as blood work, stool studies and radiologic exams
- Post-appointment reviews, held with IBD team to formulate and implement a patient care plan. Referring physicians are welcome to participate in these reviews via computer conference
Our Inflammatory Bowel Disease Specialists
Our team includes fellowship-trained gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, general surgeons, nutritionists, a health psychologist, an ostomy nurse, IBD nurses, pathologists and radiologists.
For urgent/active uncontrolled disease, second opinion and/or to transfer of care to an inflammatory bowel disease specialist, contact the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic at the Digestive Health Center at (608) 829-5000, complete our online request for appointment form or complete and fax our request for appointment form (pdf) for urgent/active uncontrolled disease, second opinion and/or to transfer of care to an inflammatory bowel disease specialist. The following information should be prepared and faxed (608-263-8254):
- Summary letter from physician (strongly encouraged)
- Results from all colonoscopies, endoscopies, liver biopsies or other GI procedures
- Physician records, including consultant reports
- Laboratory results such as blood tests, serology tests, metabolite levels, stool specimens
- Hospitalization admission and discharge summaries and surgical operative reports
- X-ray reports
- Pathology reports, which may be submitted for formal review by GI pathology