Have You Had a Colonoscopy?
Many people are nervous about undergoing a colonoscopy -- will it hurt? is the preparation as bad as it sounds? -- and may delay a potentially life-saving screening. Hear from other UW Health patients who have experienced the screenings to learn what it's really like.
Dusty Deming: Cancer Doctor, and Patient
Dusty Deming isn't a typical rectal cancer survivor. He's 30 years old, young for that disease, and he's also a UW Carbone Cancer Center medical oncologist.
More Stories from our Colonoscopy Patients
- Barb's Story: Barb was a little intimidated by the prep work prior to her colonoscopy, but had nothing but good things to say about her experience at the Digestive Health Center. Read Barb's story
- Charles' Story: Charles Snowdon's virtual colonoscopy revealed two abdominal aortic aneurysms that put him at risk for a severe rupture and may not have been detected without virtual colonoscopy. Read Charles' story
David's Story: "It's a test no one looks forward to, but it's important to talk about it," says David, who says his February 2014 colonoscopy was "worth it." Read David's story
Tim's Story: Tim has had two colonoscopies at UW Hospital, and says "both times I felt completely confident that I was being cared for by the very best doctors and nurses." Read Tim's story
- Eileen's Story: Eileen had put off undergoing a routine colonoscopy until her early 60's. When she finally did, doctors discovered cancer. Yet, she's fortunate that it was still early enough to be treated. In her words, "I feel like I dodged a bullet." Read more
- Patient Testimonial: One UW Health patient overcomes her reluctance to undergo a colonoscopy and discovers that it exceeded her expectations. Read more
- Beverly's Story: When Beverly Holmen went in for her routine colonoscopy, she never dreamed it would turn into a trip to the Midwest. But now, the 71-year old is very grateful it did. Read more
- Jackie's Story: "My virtual colonoscopy was very non-invasive, very comfortable and very quickly performed. I can't say enough about it," says Jackie, who underwent virtual colonoscopy at UW Hospital and Clinics in 2006. Read more