Criteria for Cochlear Implants for Adults
Many adults can benefit from a cochlear implant.
To ensure cochlear implants are appropriate and that the individual can receive the most benefit from the device, there are certain criteria to become a candidate.
Adult Criteria for Cochlear Implants
Criteria for adult cochlear implantation at UW Hospital and Clinics include:
- 18 years or older
- Moderate-to-profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears
- Inability to benefit from a hearing aid or other prosthetic device for communication
- Motivation to incorporate listening in daily communication
- Patients must not have a medical condition that places them at high risk for surgery
- Patient must be committed to attending regularly scheduled programming sessions as well as possible aural rehabilitation sessions following cochlear implantation
- No medical contraindications
Photo: Cochlear Corp