Detailed Pain Evaluations
UW Health's pain specialists provide each patient with a detailed pain evaluation. This allows the treatment team to determine the type and nature of the patient's pain and design an appropriate treatment plan.
The general evaluation includes the following:
- Comprehensive history interview
- Musculoskeletal examination to assess posture, motion and general physical function
- Neurological examination to assess strength, reflexes, sensation, balance and thinking
- General physical examination
Some patients also meet with other team members to undergo additional evaluations, including:
- Psychological evaluation to assess emotions, habits and skills for coping with pain and stress
- Physical therapy evaluation which is a more detailed musculoskeletal assessment
- Diagnostic testing
Patients admitted under our interdisciplinary program undergo general, psychological, and physical therapy evaluations on the same day. The team then develops a treatment plan and discusses it with the patient that afternoon.