The Pituitary Tumor Clinic provides a multidisciplinary approach involving all of the physician specialists. Every patient’s specific needs are addressed using individually tailored medical, surgical and radiation therapies that utilize advanced diagnostic neuroradiology imaging. Specific services available through the clinic include:
- Specialized pituitary MRI scan protocols
- Medical therapy for endocrine problems resulting from pituitary tumors
- Pituitary dysfunction: Pituitary dysfunction occurs in the reproductive and thyroid organs and takes place when the pituitary gland fails to produce the hormones regulating end hormones. This results in organ failure or loss of the organ. Symptoms are wide ranging.
- Hyperprolactinemia: Hyperprolactinemia is commonly caused by a benign pituitary tumor. Hyperprolactinemia symptoms could include menstruation irregularities and other menstrual problems, breast discharge in women, loss of libido, sexual dysfunction and headaches.
- Cushing's disease: Cushing's disease is a relatively uncommon condition caused by a benign tumor in the pituitary gland producing high levels of the adrenocorticotropic hormone. Cushing's disease symptoms include central weight gain, high blood pressure, high glucose levels, easy bruising, muscle loss (wasting), bone loss, depression, mood swings and abnormal stretch marks.
- Acromegaly: Acromegaly is a very rare condition usually caused by a pituitary tumor causing excessive hormone production. Acromegaly symptoms can vary and develop slowly over time. In children symptoms usually include excessive growth and in adults may include changes in facial features, hands and feet, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and arthritis.
- Endonasal trans-sphenoidal craniotomy: minimally invasive surgery with available advanced technology (computer navigational guidance, microscope and endoscopic visualization) for tumor removal
- Intra-operative MRI (iMRI) suite for real-time imaging while the patient is undergoing surgery offers additional precision for tumor removal and spares healthy tissue
- 3-D conformal radiation treatment planning to ensure precisely targeted delivery of radiation doses
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy
- Multidisciplinary team discussions at UW Tumor Board conferences to arrive at the best management plan for each patient
- Pituitary Tumors Frequently Asked Questions
- Possible Symptoms for:
- Advanced Pituitary Imaging and Treatments
- Transsphenoidal Surgery for Pituitary Tumor Removal