On April 9, 2013, UW Health broke ground on a new hospital, outpatient care and wellness facility on the east side of Madison.
Located in The American Center business park, just north of the intersection of Interstate 90/94 and Highway 151, the new three-wing building will house:
- A 56-bed hospital serving orthopedic and general medical/surgical patients
- 14 operating rooms
- Two floors of clinic exam rooms serving patients in a variety of clinical specialties
- A universal care center for outpatient diagnostic and treatment procedures and urgent care
- Physical and occupational therapy facilities
- A wellness, fitness and sports performance area with therapeutic pools, sports courts and sprint track
- A 24-hour emergency center for evaluation and treatment or transport to UW Hospital and Clinics' full-service emergency department
Nearby on the American Center campus, UW Health will continue to operate its current East Clinic at 5249 E. Terrace Drive. Future plans also include rehabilitation services on The American Center campus, most likely on an adjacent site.
Our guiding principles with this development include:
- Providing the right care in the right setting
- Following a patient- and family-centered model of care
- Involving staff and patients every step of the way
- Incorporating best practices from the nation's most advanced new facilities
- Using environmentally friendly design and construction