Latina-Inspired Kale Salad Recipe
- 1 bunch of kale, torn into small pieces and steamed lightly
- 2 Tablespoons cold pressed (organic if possible) olive or grape seed oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tear the kale leaves from the stems and fill a pot with steamer basket. It takes about 3-4 minutes. You don't want to overcook the kale.
- Add the steamed kale to a large bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the salad and add the oil. Toss together.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, chili or pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are serving right away, add the sliced avocado. If you're saving the salad for later, wait to add the avocado until just before serving.
- You can store this salad and eat it throughout the week for lunch and add fresh avocado each time you eat it.
Total fat: 7g
Saturated fat: 1g