Integrative Medicine Patient Resources
Integrative Medicine is healing-oriented medicine that honors the whole person (body, mind, spirit, and interconnection), including all aspects of lifestyle.
For patients interested in a holistic approach to their health care, the UW Health Integrative Medicine program provides handouts and teaching modules for patients and their physicians.
Integrative Medicine Teaching Modules
The following modules from the UW Department of Family Medicine website contain a handout for patients, and a podcast and 'Pearl of Wisdom' for physicians.
The UW Department of Family Medicine website provides several patient handouts from the Integrative Medicine program on a variety of topics including:
- The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
- Breathing Exercise
- Cancer: Websites for Information on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
- Detoxification Program
- Elimination Diet
- Glycemic Index & Glycemic Load
- Healing Through Forgiveness
- Improving the Sleep/Wake Cycle
- Loving-Kindness Meditation
- Omega-3 Fats
- Using Journaling to Aid Health
- Vegan Diets for Infants, Children and Adolescents
Similar to prescription medication, dietary and herbal supplements can have side effects and interact with with other prescription and over-the-counter medicines. It is important to consult with your primary care physician prior to taking any supplements or making any sigificant lifestyle changes.